LOS ANGELES — The Occidental men's and women's swimming and diving teams began the swimming portion of the 2019 SCIAC Swimming and Diving Championships with three school records at the Brenda Villa Aquatic Center on Thursday.
The Oxy women's 200 medley relay (Emily Driscoll, Laura Chun, Claire Jang and Joan Kronick) was the highlight of the afternoon, taking third for an All-SCIAC finish and school record with a time of 1:47.79. The Oxy women's 800 freestyle relay (Cindy Dong, Laura Chun, Emily Bartylla and Emily Driscoll) finished fourth with a time of 7:48.41 for a school record and the Oxy men's 800 freestyle relay (Sam Sachs, Zeke Sebastian, Miles Koupal and Zander Granath) was fifth at 6:51.17 for the third school record.
"Anytime you start a meet off with three out the four events with school records, it's a good start," Oxy head coach Steve Webb said. "We'll be ready to go and we're looking forward to tomorrow."
Oxy returns to the pool at 9 a.m. on Friday morning for prelims.
The competition runs Thursday through Sunday with the prelims each day scheduled for 9 a.m. and the finals session that afternoon at 5 p.m.
After Day 1, the Occidental men's and women's teams both sit in fifth place.
Women - Team Rankings - Through Event 5
- Pomona-Pitzer Colleges 156
- Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 154
- Chapman University 108
- California Institute of Techno 106
- Occidental College 101
- California Lutheran University 82
- University of Redlands 75
- University of La Verne 69
- Whittier College Swim and Dive 57 Scores
Men - Team Rankings - Through Event 5
- Pomona-Pitzer Colleges 128
- Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 108
- University of Redlands 92
- California Institute of Techno 88
- Occidental College 84
- California Lutheran University 76
- Chapman University 76
- University of La Verne 64
- Whittier College Swim and Dive 24
Follow Oxy Athletics on Twitter Sign Up for Newsletters Watch on Youtube Follow us on Instagram