Oxy Men's Track Goes 8-0, Records More D3 Bests

Oxy Men's Track Goes 8-0, Records More D3 Bests

REDLANDSJeh Johnson, Hugh Pegan and the Occidental men's track and field team picked up three more wins at Redlands on Saturday, finishing the SCIAC Dual-Meet season 8-0.

Oxy is in first place in the SCIAC, looking for its first SCIAC Championship since 1998.

Dual-Meet Scores:

Occidental 136, Whittier 21,

Occidental 110, Redlands 52,

Occidental 154, Caltech 9

Championship Format: The SCIAC Dual-Meet Season accounts for 25 percent of the final SCIAC Standing and the SCIAC Championship Meet on April 29-30 makes up the other 75 percent.

Aided by a 3.7-meter wind, Johnson and Pegan ran the two fastest times in NCAA Division III this year and the fourth and fifth fastest times in Oxy history. Johnson finished first at 21.12 seconds and Pegan came in second at 21.22.

Both men are all but a sure thing to qualify for National Championships in the event one day after running legs on NCAA Division III's fastest 4x400m team this year. Johnson and Pegan teamed up with Gabriel Barret-Jackson and Jesse Wong for a time of 3:13.15 at the Mt. Sac Relays on Friday.

Pegan also ran a seasonal best in the 100m at 10.71 and Johnson set a personal record at 10.8.

Oxy's 4x100m relay team (Johnson, Pegan, Chris Rom-Toribio and Kyle Dalton) also had a big day, running a seasonal best 41.43 - a time that will likely punch their ticket to the National Championships in Waverly, Iowa in late May.

Caldwell Biddle and Ethan Vu both set personal records in the 400m. Biddle ran it in 50.44 and Vu went 50.66.

In the field events, senior captain Noah Winnick led the way with a big time personal record in the hammer. Winnick threw 158-6, marking the sixth best toss in Oxy history.

Andrew Clarey posted a seasonal best in the shot put with a 45-3.

Oxy nearly swept the podium in the jumps. The Tigers went 1-2-3 in the high jump, and 1-2 in the triple and long jumps.

Grant Uba finished first in the long jump with a personal record of 21-9.5 and Rom-Toribio was second at 21-5.

Austin Dewitz took first in the triple jump at 45-1, with Isaiah Valentine in second at 43-9, and tied for first in the high jump with Taylor Walton, clearing 6-4.75. Uba came in third in the high jump by going over 6-0.75.

Next Meet: The Tigers have next weekend off to prepare for the SCIAC Championships on April 29-30.

Follow Oxy Athletics on Twitter
Sign Up for Newsletters
Watch on Youtube
Follow us on Instagram