LOS ANGELES — Hugh Pegan took home three SCIAC Championships and the No. 3 Occidental track team pushed defending champion Claremont-Mudd-Scripps at Bill Henry Track.
But despite good performances from a lot of different people, the Tigers couldn't match the depth of CMS, finishing second at the SCIAC Championship Meet on Saturday and second in the SCIAC overall for a second year in a row.
Men - Team Rankings - 20 Events Scored =============================================================================== 1) Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 204 2) Occidental 179 3) Pomona-Pitzer 130 4) La Verne 117 5) Redlands 57 6) Cal Lutheran 43 7) Whittier 27 8) Chapman 15 9) Caltech 8
"I'm proud of the way our guys competed all weekend," Oxy head coach Rob Bartlett said. "We have to tip our caps to CMS. We didn't lose the meet, they won it and deserve the credit. We have made a lot of progress this year and I'm excited to continue building toward nationals."
Oxy has made a lot of progress in a short period of time with the administration's renewed commitment to excellence in track and field. The Tigers were sixth two years ago, scored 137 points and were happy to finish second in 2015 and this year scored 179 points and expected to win.
CMS scored 204 as a team.
Pegan, who was the SCIAC Newcomer of the Year in 2015, won his first individual SCIAC Championships in the 100m (10.83) and 200m (21.20).
Pegan edged teammate and NCAA Division III current national leader Jeh Johnson in the 200m (21.38). Earlier this season Johnson and Pegan ran the two fastest times in the country in the event.
Pegan also ran a leg on Oxy's SCIAC Champion 4x400m team (Jesse Wong, Kyle Dalton, Pegan and Johnson at 3:15.68) and a leg on Oxy's second-place 4x100m relay team (Johnson, Pegan, Chris Rom-Toribio and Dalton at 41.19).
Johnson took first in the 400m, running 47.8, and Jesse Wong won the 400m hurdles for the second consecutive year (53.19).
Austin Sankaran had a huge win in the 10,000m (31:27.33) and Zach Greenleaf took home the title in the pole vault (14-11.5) on Friday.
SCIAC Scoring: The dual-meet season makes up 25 percent of the final standing with the remaining 75 percent determined at the SCIAC Championship.
SCIAC Final Standings
|School||Dual-Meet Points||Championship Points||Total Score|
Oxy SCIAC Champions
Austin Sankaran, 10,000m - 31:27.33
Zach Greenleaf, pole vault - 14-11.5
4x400m (Gabriel Barrett-Jackson, Jesse Wong, Hugh Pegan and Jeh Johnson) - 3:15.68
Jeh Johnson, 400m 47.80
Hugh Pegan, 100m - 10.83
Hugh Pegan, 200m - 21.20
Jesse Wong, 400m hurdles - 53.19
Oxy Podium Finishes
Taylor Walton, high jump - 2nd place, 6-05.5
Jeh Johnson, 200m - 2nd place, 21.38
4x100m (Jeh Johnson, Hugh Pegan, Chris Rom-Toribio and Kyle Dalton) - 2nd place, 41.19
Keenan Leary, 10,000m - 3rd place, 32:06.99
Gabriel Barrett-Jackson, 400m - 3rd place, 49.12
Andrew Clarey, shot put - 3rd place, 46-02.75
Oxy Program Top 10s
Andrew Clarey - 8th in Hammer - 153'5"
Jesse Wong - 10th in 400mH - 53.19
Hugh Pegan - 4th in 200m - 21.20
Austin Sankaran - 9th in 10,000m - 31:27.33
Dixon Farmer Character Award
Oxy senior men's thrower and team captain Noah Winnick was voted the conference's Dixon Farmer Character Award winner by the conference coaches.
The Dixon Farmer Award is named after Occidental Hall of Famer Dixon Famer '63, who was the 1961 NCAA Champion in the 440 yard hurdles. After graduating, Farmer had a successful coaching career with stops at Occidental, Gustavus Adolphus, San Diego State and the University of Michigan. Now Farmer is still heavily involved as one of the sport of track and field's very best announcers. He was also Oxy's Athletic Director from 2000-2007.
The award criteria takes into account sportsmanship, academic and athletic achievement, and leadership.
Farmer, who was announcing the 2016 SCIAC Championship, presented Winnick with the award prior to the beginning of events on the track. .
Winnick has been the lynch pin of Oxy's throwing crew, throwing all four implements.
"(Noah) sets a phenomenal example for the rest of our team in terms of how he competes and how he approaches practice," Bartlett said. "Noah also has a 3.7 cumulative grade point average as a psychology major and is an active member of Oxy's Glee Club and Choir.
Event Scoring: The meet will be scored 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 for all events. Eight athletes advance to the finals in all track events except the 4 x 100m and 4 x 400m relays. Nine athletes will advance to the finals in all field events.Follow Oxy Athletics on Twitter Sign Up for Newsletters Watch on Youtube Follow us on Instagram