Pegan, Tigers Remain Undefeated With Three Wins

Pegan, Tigers Remain Undefeated With Three Wins

LOS ANGELESHugh Pegan continues to dominate SCIAC track as the Occidental men's team stayed undefeated with wins over Pomona-Pitzer, Chapman and Whittier in SCIAC Multi Dual competition at Bill Henry Track on Saturday.

Pegan, the defending national champion in the 200m and the reigning SCIAC Track Athlete of the Year, won the 100m, the 200m and teamed up with Chris Rom-Toribio, Keane Collins and Kyle Dalton for a win in the 4x100m relay with the fastest time in NCAA Division III so far this season.

The Tigers ran 41.50. 

Pegan went 10.86 in the 100m for the 12th fastest time in the country and 21.75 in the 200m for the seventh fastest.

"Hugh's improving from meet to meet and getting back towards his best form," Oxy head coach Rob Bartlett said. "He knows that defending a title isn't going to be easy, and he's committed to working as hard as he ever has."

Gabriel Barrett-Jackson, a four-time All-American, is also beginning to hit his stride in the 400m, running a seasonal-best 48.60 for the seventh fastest time in the country. Barrett-Jackson has two All-American honors in the 400m and one in each relay.

In middle distance, Tristan Santos had a huge 6-second personal record in the 1,500m, posting a 3:59.77 for a second-place finish. His performance was especially significant to Oxy's scoring due to Pomona-Pitzer being a heavy favorite in the event. Santos wasn't expected to crack the top three, but he did, diving over the line to secure the victory over the Sagehens. 

In the field events, Austin DeWitz continued his impressive sophomore season, clearing 6-feet-8 inches for a lifetime best that puts hit in the top 10 in the high jump in Division III. The top 19 men make the NCAA Division III Championships in Geneva, Ohio in May, putting him in a pretty good spot to contend for a ticket. Last year's cutoff was 6-09.

DeWitz also ran a lifetime best in the 110m hurdles, going 16.05 for a second-place finish. Last year he scored in the event with a sixth place finish and is positioning himself for a run at a podium spot.

From the Coach: "As a coaching staff we're really proud of the whole team today," Oxy head coach Rob Bartlett said. "Across both teams we had a number of people step up and have career days. Nothing makes you happier as a coach when you see the team competing for each other. We're in a great spot for this part of the season, and have every reason to believe we're only getting better from here on in."

Season Impact: The Tigers are currently in first place in the SCIAC standings, improving to 5-0 in SCIAC Multi-Dual competition.

The SCIAC Multi-Duals account for 25 percent of the SCIAC standings with the remaining 75 percent scored at the SCIAC Championship meet.

Next Meet: The Tigers are back in action at the Pomona-Pitzer Invite on April 8.

Follow Oxy Athletics on Twitter
Sign Up for Newsletters
Watch on Youtube
Follow us on Instagram